Friday, March 20, 2015

About This Blogger

Hi There,

This is a total experiment. I have no idea if it will work or be effective and helpful. But it's the kind of thing that's impossible to know without trying.

Who am I? I'm a young adult male. I'm caucasian and live in the United States. I am married. I have a Bachelor's degree from a liberal arts college. I have a full time job at a great company which relates in no way to my degree. I have a whole host of interests, but little traction on any of them.

Oh yeah...and I have an attention disorder.

ADHD in the DSM 5 is broken down into two types: inattentive type and hyperactive type. I have the inattentive type. I don't want to spend much time on that here, as I imagine I'll spend a whole post(s) on it at some point. Suffice it to say...the entire world around me is like static on a fuzzy radio station. It's mostly noise and little signal. I have trouble organizing my thoughts, and my things. I have trouble remembering little things. And those symptoms never take a consistent shape in my life...so it's challenging to work around them.

Another thing about me that's related to that disorder and my personality in general is I tend to spend a ton of time in my head talking things out. How I would describe something, how I feel about it, what I think is true. Sometimes it's diatribes on opinions, sometimes it's future conversations I'm preparing for with others, but I fill in the other person's entire side of the conversation, often with falsehoods. Ultimately, most of this inner speak is really unhelpful, I rarely get or take the chance for those words to impact anyone or anything.

So I'm going to try to write them down. With purpose and constraints. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment